Cheney did not detail specific points of the plan in his opening statement. She said the rioters who violated the Capitol and fought with police were motivated by the actions of Trump falsely claiming the election was stolen from him.
“President Trump called the crowd together, rallied the crowd and lit the flame for this attack,” Cheney said, echoing the statement she made in 2021 when she voted to impeach Trump.
A committee source then provided CNN with the following description of the “sophisticated seven-part plan”:
“President Trump oversaw a sophisticated seven-part plan to cancel the 2020 election and prevent the transition of presidential power.
- President Trump has embarked on a massive effort to spread false and fraudulent information to the American public, claiming the 2020 election was stolen from him.
- President Trump corruptly planned to replace the acting attorney general, so the Justice Department would support his bogus campaign claims.
- President Trump corruptly pressured Vice President Pence to refuse to count certified electoral votes in violation of the US Constitution and law.
- President Trump corruptly pressured state election officials and state lawmakers to change election results.
- President Trump’s legal team and other Trump associates have asked Republicans in several states to create fake voter rolls and turn those rolls over to Congress and the National Archives.
- President Trump summoned and assembled a violent mob in Washington and ordered them to march on the US Capitol.
- As the violence was ongoing, President Trump ignored multiple pleas for help and took no immediate action to stop the violence and ordered his supporters to leave the Capitol.
These are initial findings and the select committee’s investigation is still ongoing. Additionally, the Department of Justice is currently working with cooperating witnesses and has to date only released some of the information it has identified from encrypted communications and other sources.”