One of my goals in these weekly quizzes is to impart information about Chicago baseball in an engaging way. I could list nine facts, but I don’t think it’s that fun.
Today I’m giving you the chance to learn some 2021 Sox stats and some playoff history by asking yourself nine factual questions (and giving you the answers). So enjoy the playoffs and cheer on Chicago whether you’re a fan of the Sox or the Cubs.
Good luck for the Chicago Nine!
1. Historically, “Shoeless” Joe Jackson leads the White Sox with seven multi-hit playoff games. In the 2021 regular season, who led the Sox in multi-hit games?
a. José Abreu vs. Tim anderson
b. Yasmani Grandal D. Leury Garcia
2. For those of you who like to play scrabble with the names of my quizzes, you will be happy to know that AJ Pierzynski (in 2005) and Ted Kluszewski (in 1959) share the White Sox record with a game multihomer everyone in the playoffs, who led the Sox in multihomers games in 2021?
a. José Abreu vs. Eloy Jimenez
b. Yasmani Grandal D. Leury Garcia
3. The Sox hitting record for strikeouts in a playoff game is three, set by 14 players, most recently by James McCann last season. Four times in 2021, an Sox player had a “golden sombrero,” four strikeouts in a game. In one game, however, a player had a “platinum sombrero,” a five-scent game. who was he?
a. Yoan Moncada vs. Tim anderson
b. Brian goodwin D. Eloy Jimenez
4. Carlos Rodon had the Sox’s season high on May 21 when he struck out 13 Yankees. Ed Walsh holds the Sox playoff record for strikeouts in one game when he shut out the Cubs on Oct. 11, 1906. Compared to Rodon, Walsh’s number of puffs in that game was. . .
a. The same b. Following vs. Less
5. Bobby Jenks holds the Sox record with five career playoff saves. True or False: More than each of the following in the playoffs?
a. Adam wainwright vs. Trevor Hoffman
b. John smoltz D. Sergio romo
6. The Sox won AL Central on September 23 defeating the Indians (now the Guardians). Who was the Sox winning pitcher?
a. Reynaldo López vs. Aaron Bummer
b. Garrett Hook D. Craig kimbrel
7. No Sox pinch hitter has had an extra-base hit in the playoffs. This regular season, the Sox have had tight homers from three hitters. Which of the following groups did not have one?
a. Gavin leaves vs. Andrew Vaughn
b. Adam eaton D. Yasmani Grandal
8. Tim Anderson has led the Sox with 18 stolen goals this season. In the three World Series championship seasons for the Sox (1906, 1917, 2005), which have had the most consistency-
the season flies for them?
a. Eddie collins vs. Franck Isbell
b. Scott Podsednik D. Aaron Rowand
9. In fairness, I really felt like I needed a question from the Cubs, so let’s go: each of the following players has played in the playoffs, but which one has not played in a game? in the playoffs for the Cubs?
a. Kyle hendricks vs. David Bote
b. Ian happ D. Matt duffy
ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ
1. Tim Anderson had 46 multi-hit games. 2. Yasmani Grandal has played three multihomers matches. 3. On April 2, Yoan Moncada netted five strikeouts in five at-bat appearances. 4. It is less. Ed Walsh put out 12 batters that day at the West Side Grounds. 5. Oh that’s right. The other four pitchers each have four saves. 6. Aaron produced the opposite of a Bummer and won the match. 7. Gavin Sheets went 2-for-9 with an RBI and no homerun. 8. Scott Podsednik (59 in 2005). 9. Matt Duffy (Giants 2014 and Rays 2019).
Look at the bullpen bike coming out of the arms of the Sox. He is expected to be the highest of all playoff teams. One of my goals in these weekly quizzes is to impart information about Chicago baseball in an interesting way. I could list nine facts, but I don’t think it’s that fun.